Thursday, January 8, 2009

Contests baby, Contests.


So as everyone already knows, I LOVE cooking and baking. Sometimes I come up with dishes that just work perfectly and I amaze even myself. I found a link yesterday for recipe contests. Some contests you win like $100, others like the Betty Crocker one you can win like $5,000! I'm going to start entering! I started yesterday by entering into a Taste of Home's contest. There were 2 catergories of contests that my recipe fit, so I entered it into both.


Greg and I really love mexican food, but it's really hard to get a healthy mexican dish, it's nearly impossible because of all the tortillas, sour cream, cheese, and everything else that makes it soooooo good! So, I came up with a tortilla soup that I call Chicken Tomatillo Tortilla Soup, and it was AMAZING. The worst thing in this dish is the 2 tablespoons of flour and crushed tortilla chips that go on the top, it's a really heathly and hearty dish with great flavors. So, here is my contest entry:



Chicken Tomatillo Tortilla Soup


1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 pound tomatillos
3 cups diced tomatoes
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 red onion
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups black beans
1 cup corn kernels
1 red bell pepper
1 packet Taco Seasoning
Erin's Mexican Spice (1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp mesquite seasoning, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper)
3 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and Pepper to taste.


Thinly slice the chicken into bit-size pieces. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Toss the chicken in Erin's Mexican Spice. Add the chicken to the pan, add 1 tbsp lime juice, and sautee until fully cooked.

Meanwhile, in your large stockpot and add the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Dice the red onion and red pepper, add to pot and sweat for about 3 minutes. (I add about 1 tsp each of salt and pepper). Add the 2 tbsp flour to the onion and pepper. Once it is all combined, add the tomatoes and chicken stock, bring to a boil.

Roughly chop the tomatillos. Add them to the stockpot and cook for about 10 minutes. Using a strainer, remove about 1/2 of the vegetables from the stockpot, add to a food processor, and puree the vegetables. (Make sure to cover the top of the food processor with a towel, hot steam will come out!) Pour your vegetable puree back into the pot.

Add the remaining ingredient: corn, black beans, taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and sauteed chicken.

Let the soup simmer for about 30 more minutes.

I like to top my soup with a handful of crused lime tortilla chips and chopped cilantro, adds some great flavor!


No comments:

Post a Comment