Thursday, October 2, 2008

My First Blog!!!



Hello World! Welcome to my first blog. I will be posting recipes, ideas, and other fun stuff from my random, sugar-filled life.

The picture above is obviously of one of the most important parts of that day, the CAKE! We had several different layers on our fondant covered masterpiece including red velvet, cherry, and vanilla. We had a Christmas wedding, so it was only fitting that we had our cake look like stacked presents. I think the BEST part of the cake was the tag on the top, it says "TO: Erin & Greg FROM: Mom & Dad"




For anyone who doesn't know me, my name is Erin Schillo. I grew up in Brecksville, Ohio and have lived in several different places including Miami Beach, and currently reside in Lexington, Ky. My husband is Greg Schillo, he grew up in Broadview Hts about 2 miles from my childhood home. We knew each other, and actually his older sister, Natalie, gave me a ride to school with him in the car every once in a while. We met back up about 8 years later, fell in love, and the rest is history!

I have a strong passion for cooking and baking, always have. I'm obsessed with the Food Network. I don't own any cookbooks, I rarely make any recipe more than once because I ALWAYS try new things. Except of course for my famous ribs, those I make the same every time. You will find that my baking recipes are always exact amounts, my cooking recipes are here and there. 95% of the the time I never measure, I look at it, smell it, and taste it. That is how I know I've made it right. Here is my recipe for ribs:

Pork Ribs

Dry Rub:

1/4 cup Paprika

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon mesquite seasoning

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

Place ribs in a glass or metal baking dish. Baste the ribs in the apple cider vinegar. Pour the dry rub on top an press into ribs. Cover and let sit for at least 3 hours, up to overnight if you can!

To cook them, I pour about 1 cup dark beer OR apple juice in the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly in foil and bake at 250 for about 4-5 hours, depending on the amount of ribs. (You can rinse the dry rub off if you like, we usually keep it on for more flavor) Once they are almost falling off the bone, baste them in your favorite BBQ Sauce. Greg and I LOVE Sweet Baby Rays, we should order it in bulk we use it so much. ALWAYS finish ribs on the grill if you can, makes a huge difference. Just set them on your grill for about 10-15 minutes to get that nice and crispy outside.

Enjoy!

1 comment: